|4 tsp vegetable oil
1 large brown onion (diced)
6 cloves of garlic
1 tsp cumin seeds
5g cassia bark sticks
3 bay leaves
3 tsp coriander powder
|1 tsp cumin powder
4 cardamom pods
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp nutmeg powder
3 star anise
410g canned tomatoes
|1 cup water
500g beef mince
3 cloves of garlic
(made to paste)
2 tbsp chopped coriander
Coriander to garnish
|1. Heat a large pot with 3 Tbsp of oil. Once oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, cassia barks, bay leaves, cardamom pods, star anise and let them splutter for a few seconds.
2. Add the chopped onions with 1 Tsp of salt and sauté on medium to low heat for at least 10-15 minutes till they are soft.
3. Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, Kashmiri chili, nutmeg powder to the onions and stir for a minute.
4. Add the canned tomatoes to the pot and mix thoroughly.
5. Add the the cup of water and honey to the pot and let it simmer for atleast 30-40 minutes minutes. If the mixture becomes too dry or starts sticking to the base, add more water. The mixture 6. should be cooked till it starts oozing its own oil.
7. In the mean time, in a mixing bowl, mix the mince, garlic paste, fresh coriander and salt to taste. Make them to lemon sized balls.
8. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan and on medium to low heat, cook the meat balls to a light brown.
9. Check the tomato base for seasoning. Once it cooked, one can add a bit more salt or sugar to balance the flavors.
10. Add the cooked meat balls to the cooked tomato base and cook for another 4
minutes and take it off the heat. Rest the meat balls for 10 minutes and then serve.
Enjoy with steamed rice or pasta.